Friday, September 11, 2015

Book Review Friday: The Belgariad



The Belgariad
By David Eddings

Technically, The Belgariad is not a book.  It is five books.  The first one was published in 1982.

Pawn of Prophecy
Queen of Sorcery
Magician's Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Enchanter's End Game

This is one of my favorite stories.  I've read it a dozen times, at least.  I've shared it with friends, I've read the books aloud to my children.  I've warn out paperback copies.  But, frankly, as a librarian, this isn't something I'd recommend everyday, because they're just not on the library shelves anymore.  But if you can find them and you love a good epic fantasy.  You should try this.

The story begins with young Garion living on a farm with his Aunt Pol, who cooks for the farmer and his large staff of workers.  One day the old storyteller shows up and Garion's life is turned upside down.   And Garion slowly comes to realize that the storyteller, Aunt Pol, and even Garion himself are not who he thought they were and that they have a task to perform that will change the world.

Great characters, lots of humor, knights, thieves, magic, villains, and even a dragon make their way across the pages of Eddings' epic adventure.  And if you can't get enough, Garion's adventures continue in The Mallorean (another five book series).


No comments:

Post a Comment